Scientific visualization of large datasets allows you to identify critical areas and vulnerabilities during the design process so that you can focus efforts, cut design time and create a better product. Beginner, hands-on workshop.
Scientific visualization can be applied across a number of areas, including engineering, material science, sensor/drone data, geospatial, and life sciences. This workshop will introduce participants to scientific visualization on both a conceptual and practical level. Following an overview, the session will focus on teaching participants how to use the open-source Paraview visualization software on their own desktop. This will be followed by a demonstration on how Paraview can be used on a supercomputer for datasets that are too large for desktop or workstations.
This session will cover the following topics:
- Using scientific visualization in communication and decision-making
- Types of visualization
- Extracting data from your model
- Using the open-source Paraview visualization software on a desktop. Datasets will be provided.
- Demonstration on how to do scientific visualization on a supercomputer using Paraview
Key Learning Outcomes
- To understand the value of scientific visualization
- To know the basics of Paraview
- To be able to load datasets and create scientific visualizations on a desktop using Paraview
- To understand when scaling up visualizations to run on a supercomputer is beneficial, and how to get started
- R&D engineering or scientific staff with no scientific visualization experience